Dear Future 5th Grade Parents,
We are excited to announce that, Harmony Mathematics Academy (HMA), is continuing at Harmony Science Academy – Sugar Land in 2020-2021 academic year for the students in the Gifted and Talented program and High achievers among rising 5th graders. This opportunity is intended to challenge our students through content acceleration and advancement, especially in Mathematics. We are planning to extend the program all the way up to 12th grade over the years.
The HMA program is for students who would like to excel in Mathematics at a fast pace. In order to ensure the success in this challenging program students will be selected based on their skills and achievements in Mathematics. Student selection criteria will include NWEA MAP scores, previous year`s STAAR performance, teacher recommendation, and student interest. Students selected to participate in the program will be placed in one section as a cohort for an advanced curriculum beyond the grade level expectations.
The completion of an application does not guarantee acceptance into the HMA program due to the selection criteria. Only those students who meet the eligibility criteria and demonstrate a strong desire along with good work ethics to participate in the HMA program will be accepted.
Interested students and parents must fill out the application form meeting campus deadline, July 10th 2020. This application form becomes an agreement and also ensures that both the student and parents understand program requirements. Below you will find program details.
- Timely submitted application (MUST meet the deadline, NO EXCEPTIONS)
- Top 30 ranking student average scale scores in Math STAAR 2019, Fall NWEA MAP Mathematics and Winter NWEA MAP Mathematics of 2019-2020
- Teacher recommendation (4th Grade Math teachers)
- If there are more qualified candidates than the available spots in the program, eligible students will be ranked based on average scale scores and will be placed on the waiting list.
Program success and student performance
Besides the selection criteria, other program components will be considered to ensure student success in the program. Other program components include the following.
- Period of probation: Students acceptance is on a probationary basis tied to their ability and success in the program. Students who earn a C average within each reporting period will be placed on probation for two weeks and parents will be informed. Should the student fail to earn a B or above will be dropped from this program and will be placed in a general education program.
- Due to the workload and accelerated nature of the program students are expected to have outstanding study habits including timely submission of all assignments and initiate self-study.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Sultan Chandler – firstname.lastname@example.org
Rasim Damirov – email@example.com
We will be hosting a parent information session on July 29th 2020 (Details of this session is TBA). We look forward to seeing you.
Afreen Merchant – Principal
Harmony Science Academy – Sugar Land
Please click the link below to print the application form.